The Application Process
Thank you for your interest in The British International School of New York. We hope the information below and other links in this section are helpful as you begin your journey with us and we warmly welcome you to contact us to schedule a private tour at a convenient time by calling (+1) 212 481-2700.
We recognize that some of our families may be applying from overseas or other parts of the U.S. and may require some assistance with an unfamiliar application process. We do therefore encourage you to please contact us if you have any questions relating to gaining admission, or the school in general; we are here to help smooth the process.
For families interested in late entry or rolling admissions for the academic year starting September 2018, we recommend you contact the school directly prior to making an application to be sure there is space available, as many years groups are full at this time.
Applications are now open for September 2019. You may apply directly by clicking the orange TADS button below.
Please see the links below for more information on the application process for each age group:
In order to apply for our Nursery program or Pre-K/ Reception please complete the online application form via TADs as above.
Once the application is received, the school will be in contact to set up a parent/child meeting with one of our Early Years Practitioners. Please allow 45 minutes for this meeting and be assured that there will be appropriate toys and activities for your child. On acceptance of a place for your child, they will be invited in to school for a classroom visit.
Children applying for Pre-K (Reception) and K (Year 1) will be required to provide past school reports and our Foundation Stage Teacher Recommendation Form. Once we receive your application we will be in touch to schedule a Taster Day so that they can spend some time with our teachers in the classroom.
For entry into the Primary Years Programme (ages 5-11 years old) in addition to filling in the online application via the TADS link above, we request that families provide at least 2 years of past school reports and our Primary Years Programme Teacher Recommendation Form.
Once we receive your application we will be in touch to schedule an informal interview and assessment.
For entry into the Middle Years Programme (ages 11-14) following completion of the online application from via the TADS link above we ask that families provide at least 2 years of past school reports, our Middle Years Programme Teacher Recommendation Form as well as numeracy and literacy work samples.
Once we receive the application we will be in touch to schedule an informal interview and assessment.
Applications for BIS-NY Upper are now open.
- To apply please complete the online application form via TADS by clicking here.
In addition, we request the following documentation is emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org to support the application:
- Reports - Previous end of year school reports submitted to the Admissions Team, along with most recent school report from current year, when available.
- ISEE Test Scores - Please note, in the event that a student has sat the test more than once, please provide all test results. Although we understand the test is just a snapshot of a student's ability, it helps us form a fuller picture. The test scores are only one element of the applicant's file and are not designed to be used as a single determining factor in the admission decision. If the SSAT has been taken in place of the ISEE we are happy to accept those results in lieu of the ISEE.
- Graded Essay - We require one piece of recent, graded written work in any subject to be submitted along with the application.
- Teacher recommendation forms - These are to be completed by the current school and sent directly to BIS-NY. Please provide email contact addresses via TADS during the online application (as above).
- Student Interview - To be scheduled at a convenient time once the application has been submitted.